What is Neurofeedback?
NeurOptimal® is the most advanced brain training technology available today. The system works with the Central Nervous System and trains the brain to regulate itself seamlessly to become more flexible and resilient.
This safe and reliable solution has helped thousands of people with cognitive, emotional or physical challenges.
What is the process? Are there any side effects to neurofeedback?
NeurOptimal® is a 100% non-invasive and holistic method for restoring serenity, focus, confidence and wellness back into your life. As you listen to music or watch a movie, small, painless sensors placed on the ears and scalp send information about your brain’s electrical activity to software on a laptop If the software detects irregularities, or “turbulences,” in your brain wave patterns that suggest inefficient functioning, it glitches the music, or the briefly pauses the movie. This auditory/visual interruption gives your brain the vital information, or feedback, it needs to reorganize itself and readjust to operate more optimally in the present moment.
Other neurofeedback systems may push, alter or manipulate brainwaves by asking the user to perform a certain task or make a particular effort. While this type of training can be effective, it can also result in unwanted side-effects. Alternatively, NeurOptimal® is a detection/information system; you don’t have to make any conscious effort, or risk side-effects, to see results. Think of NeurOptimal® as a coach, monitoring your brain’s performance and gently alerting your central nervous system to make adjustments when necessary. When the brain learns to bounce back from disruptions and setbacks, and therefore functions more optimally, symptoms of conditions are consequently alleviated.
What does a more efficient brain function “feel” like?
The first thing most users notice is a substantial improvement in the quality of their sleep. Many report that they dream more vividly and sleep more soundly. After a few NeurOptimal® sessions, users report feeling more focused, calm and centered. They work faster, more efficiently, and experience a significant reduction in physical complaints. They are less bothered by doubts and insecurities and are more apt to experience confidence and satisfaction. Nagging, upsetting thoughts simply drop away with no effort on the user’s part. Free from distraction, the brain can focus on the present and naturally discover the best way to tackle the task at hand.
What conditions does Neurofeedback address?
Clients using neurofeedback have experienced relief from a vast array of psychological, emotional, and medical conditions along with considerable personal and spiritual growth. The most common ones are:
- Stress / burnout
- Sleep disturbance / sleep disorders
- Anxiety / Panic Attacks
- PTSD / Traumas
- AD/HD-ADD (Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder)
- Academic / Athletic Performance
- Brain Aging (e.g. forgetfulness)
The brain is always able to learn. A brain that suffered trauma, or even injury, still maintains its neuroplasticity and, given the right information, is able to create new neuronal connections.
What happens in a typical neurofeedback session?
– You’ll come to our Orenstein Solutions office in Cary, where your trainer will greet you. Your trainer may ask you a few questions describing how you are feeling and your symptoms.
– Then, you will sit in a comfortable chair facing a computer screen, in a safe and quiet environment.
– Your trainer attaches tiny sensors near your scalp and three clips on your ears to pick up delicate electrical activity of your brain. These sensors do not cause pain or discomfort.
– Your trainer starts the program for you and the brain training begins.
– You listen to music, wearing earbuds or headphones. (Children watch a movie of their choice – during which they may notice very brief pauses in the sound or image.)
– You do not have to do anything. It is all right to close your eyes and “zone out” or even doze off and just let your brain do its job.
– A training session usually runs around 35 minutes.
Does neurofeedback work with children?
Neurofeedback training is for everyone: children, teenagers, adults, and older adults. This safe and gentle training is appropriate for anyone regardless of their age or condition. It has even been used with newborns!
We provide services in the Raleigh-Cary metropolitan area. We invite you to call us for a 15-minute free consultation to discuss any questions and concerns you may have about neurofeedback or Orenstein Solutions.